Sunday, May 4, 2014

The Lock

In a recent post, I talked a bit about the story behind the project I've been working on, but I want to explain what it is that I feel this script is going to make possible.


Primarily, this lock script will allow me to create more 'Fetish' type items. Items similar to the Fetish Doll Hood, the Latex Implants, and so on. I've had a number of ideas for cool new products, and plenty of customer suggestions too. Ways to improve on existing designs, or ideas to make entirely new items. Some made entirely by my hand, others might be made as collaborations or even using some prefabricated elements. A prime example being the Plateau Ankle Boots.

While I don't have plans to go 100% into using prefabricated meshes (I love building things too much) I can certainly see the value in making some inexpensive texture-changing items that make use of some prefab mesh parts, in conjunction with my textures, hud, and other scripted functions.

Being able to add the lock script to such a product would make it better... and honestly I would have loved to have added some locks to the straps on those Plateau boots. =)

Another thing it will enable, is the continued updating of older ER items, to keep up with the times. The example of the Fetish Doll Hood comes up again here.. if I were to add more catsuits in different colors, it would only be a matter of minutes before the requests came in for an updated version of the Hood with textures to match.

I've thought long and hard about how-best to deploy an update like that.. and honestly I haven't decided. If I pair that functionality change with an updated mesh model, and a whole new slew of textures, it might just be easier to retire the old one and sell the new one for a similar price.

That issue aside,what this script is really about, is about enabling a useful and interesting level of scripted RLV type functionality, and creating a consistent level of 'good' functionality across all products that need that functionality.

I think I've come up with a good mixture of settings and menu-access rules that will create a fairly intuitive, and sometimes challenging experience that will make ER's lockable items 'fun', regardless of your particular needs.

And having the locking script be a single, modular script, means that ER products will support modding even more than before... allowing end-users to remove or replace the locking functions entirely, while still keeping the texture change and appearance controls that make ER products so desirable.

But above all, what this locking script is going to do, is make it easier for me to make new products. New products that work reliably, consistently, and well. The same way that the Appearance Hud has allowed me to focus more on the 'designing, building, and texturing' parts of making new things, this locking script will allow me that same freedom with lockable items as well..

Allowing me to spend less time planning menus, puzzling over algebraic equations, writing and debugging scripts, and testing.

The Lock won't free me from that entirely.. I'll still need to script the occasional plugin, and of course not everything I make needs to lock. But having this script that I can re-use again and again will mean I need to do less of that, and when script bugs are found and fixed, it will make it easier to apply that fix to all the lockable items that use that script.

In just about every measurable way, this script will help me do more of the things I love, more often, and to hopefully spend less time doing the things that I dread, the things that hold me back, and have kept items piled up half-finished for ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment